8/6/16

Touchdown

She tackled me in the huddle
(ready for some football)
And I knew then...
There was mud, blood and evidence
all over that field
...In school I would have made her laugh
(while trying not to look at her braces)
I’d have drawn her name and mane
(her pony tail)
all over my blank pages
She’d have given me perfumed letters,
and notes of a fanciful fashion
She’d have loved me for me,
though I’d be many years in the making...
Hell is the world around her,
and Heaven is slightly inside
She’s laughing at that line,
and waiting for me in the rain
...When simple, we’re a rainbow
that everyone chases
And the heart in hand
-she’ll never play with,
because if it ever broke
she soon would follow
in the game of lost winners
never keeping score

Poetry from Fancy Gravity by Shane Windham
E-book and paperback now on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment