9/28/16

Chasing the Day Before the Dawn

I’ve been the one drying her tears,
and holding her world together
when that lucky fool knocks it down

And even though we know
that few could love her better than me,
she’s still running afraid

But I dust my heart off,
and put it back in her hands;
hoping someday she’ll understand
that what I feel isn’t going to fade
...
I’ve got every reason
to shut her out of my mind;
like the way she doesn’t respond
when I ask her to love me
But I still believe she can

If not her than no one
(or so the romantic inside of me screams)

And, though I’m not the dream she wakes to,
though I’m not her autumn breeze,
I need her more than I’m sure I know how to
And, lord knows, one day she’ll consider me

Poetry from Ink and Emotion by Shane Windham
E-book and paperback now on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment