9/29/16

The Ever-Fading Loveliness

She used to call me when she was afraid
Her biggest phobias dealt with weirdos in the woods
I’m not sure if she believed in a god,
but she tried like hell to believe in me
Her younger sister didn’t like me much;
she saw through me all too well
Her best friend thought I had every answer;
she’d learn to settle for my jokes
I remember the natural sadness in her voice
Even when she laughed, you knew she could cry
But that gave me more comfort than anything
I too remember being afraid
My biggest phobias deal with what’s hiding in my head
And I suppose that’s where we went wrong
She was the one who was good with words
I fell short of the glory
My friends and family hated her;
for she got my days and my nights,
and they soon grew weary of me never sleeping
There are a hundred different reasons
why I should be with her now,
but I’ve always had excuses to keep me company
I suppose that the reason she tended to call me so often
wasn’t because of her fears;
she called trying to kill mine
....
I never knew her favorite color,
or the other things people normally come to know
I do know how she felt about me,
but a man that can’t even say ‘I love you’
will always end up alone

Poetry from Thought-Box by Shane Windham
E-book and paperback now on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment