9/14/16

What I Mean To Say

I understand you think this meeting is important,
but I haven’t seen fireflies in years
I spent six days of this week holding you
May I now spend the seventh holding someone else?
You are correct in pointing out the snow on the ground
That doesn’t change the fact that I’m craving ice cream
And of course I’m in the mood for you
I’m just not in the mood to waste my time proving it
Don’t let fear keep you off of that coaster
My fear of your driving didn’t stop me from tagging along
I should be sorry for missing what you were saying,
but the ocean is only five hours away
Your opinion has been noted
My silence doesn’t mean that I agree
I haven’t had any extra money in months
So it only makes sense that I go blow this sudden excess
on presents
Don’t make fun of the blanket-tent I made in my closet
I’m daring you to stop being so damn mature all the time
Throw a curve or two, and watch how the world takes no notice
Don’t be in such a hurry to get out of the rain
The mail needs checked around noon,
but sleepwalking is dangerous, I’m told
Go ahead and build your castles from stone
Sand’s just prettier, if you’re asking me
No one wants to kiss a smoker
But then, who wants to kiss no one?
Your mouth is saying, “No sir.”
Your eyes are following suit
But your body shakes with an eager plea
to jump forward, and fall in
The water’s fine,
if, by fine, one means
cold as hell, and frozen over
But you’ll never know that for sure until you join me
I realize you think me childish,
but you also think I’m the happier of the two of us
And what I mean to say is that I have been given
no reason to argue against that point of view
Life is an experiment in experience
You’re a pen
The world is paper
And there’s no such thing as safe keeping
So, what's it going to be?

Poetry from POETiCA by Shane Windham
E-book and paperback now on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment