5/11/17

The Last Days of Love

The thought turned to me,
and echoed its way to words
“She’ll stop calling you home today.”

My mouth spit through me;
a resignation tendered
“Cry.” The word said, then obeyed

Far through the night, I fled
into the darkness; aware
Though I never left this room

Absconding from my dread
Purging the shadow’s stare
of torrentially gloomy doom

But she found me, and pulled me to her
Warring within my fear;
she knelt, and took my hands

I said, “You need love me no longer.
For in spite of the years,
we’ll fall through the other like sands.”

She quietly wiped my tears away,
then smiled at me with concern;
hoping her words would be enough

“We’re more now than in any yesterday.
It may take you a lifetime to learn,
but there is no end to any love.”

The last days of love don’t exist
Break my heart, yet it may reminisce
…about another’s love

Poetry from Ink and Emotion by Shane Windham
E-book and paperback now on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment